Friday, October 06, 2006

Surreal

Long time ago, I lived in a house with my bro and some friends. We called it "The Zoo". Fun place. Many stories, none of which will ever end up in any kind of printed form, on pain of castration. One of his buddies had a girl he was close to. They were on buddy status then. She had already been on a mission when they hung out forever ago. He went on a mission a little later than most about a year or so after we left the house.. Fast forward to yesterday, 10/5/06. They've been dating for a while now (year?). Everyone has been expecting them to get married and get it over with.

She is involved in a car accident and dies. This is not one of those times when it would likely have made a difference if she had gotten on the road 5 minutes later. That dump truck went straight for her. A quote comes to mind:

“When God ordains a man’s time to die, he directs him to the proper place.” Dr Kines in Frank Herbert’s "DUNE"

She was actually "good people". We didn't interact tons, but we were friendly. I went out with her roommate a couple of times. She's the first person in my age bracket that I've known to pass away. I'm more than a little wierded out.

I don't know her family. My concern is with her guy. My bro's friend. He has had heavy interaction with her now in one way or another for probably the last 5 years. This is going to be a major blow to him. After all this passes to the point that he can cope again, he will either be rock solid and live with the possibility of seeing her again some day, or will go off the deep end into hedonism as a way of "kicking against the pricks" (Biblical, don't worry about it). We all care about him and are concerned.

I'm selfishly wierded out because I know them both.

1 comment:

Gubi said...

I havent watched that movie in ages. I think I will do that this weekend if I have a moment.