Monday, October 30, 2006

Under Pressure

A couple of months ago, my maternal parental unit recommended I get a physical. She is usually a pretty inspired woman, so I put it off for a bit and finally went. I'’m healthy. The only thing the doc said was that my blood pressure was a tad high. I was just glad he did a regular physical and not a "full" physical. He recommended I drop some pounds and it would go away on its own. I weighed in at 210. He wasn'’t overly concerned, so I wasn'’t overly concerned. I started eating a little more healthily, but that'’s it. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I went to donate blood at work and they told me they would have rejected me if my pressure was one point higher. I was at 189/99. That'’s just pathetic, when something like pressure might keep me from giving. My sister in law ended up with some "“friends and family"” coupons to her gym. It was actually a sweet deal, so I signed up. I'’ve gone once and it was with a Runner/Ballroom Dancer from work. Needless to say, we are at slightly different performance levels. It was cool though, it was good to have the contrast there. I will outdo her; it's just a matter of putting in the time. Yeah, you heard me. I am doing a stepped goal system. I know what I want and I know I get a little overzealous, so I am forcing myself to concentrate on just one thing for now.

The last time I got into physical fitness, I would be restless until I had a chance to "“get well"” by taking my bike on a midnight sprint up a nearby large hill. Did I mention I'm prone to addictions? It would take more and more to get the burn I needed. Not as fun as you'd think in 14 degree weather. I have a scar in my eyebrow from that era. Long story. Let's just say I protected the important parts of my body by skidding on my face. I maneuvered that one into a hookup with a girl I was into. Another long story. Moving on.

I may play with strength training, but I won'’t let myself get into it until I get my pressure at a manageable level. Until then, I will swallow some pride and let everyone around me go at what feels like 50 mph while I walk and jog myself into a position where I can eat up 2 miles in no time flat, exercise-induced asthma or not.

2 comments:

famousjay said...

As much as this is all in good fun....

Ya ain't never gonna beat me! Pbtpbtpbtp!!!!! :-p

Gubi said...

Nice Jenna... Nice.

I am pretty sure Jenna would kick my butt too, but at least I would give her a run for the money. I really need to get out and start excersizing again. It has been about 2 months since I got out for a run. I guess once it started to turn cold it was hard to push myself out the door to do it. Although, I have never gone to a gym before. I have always done it separately. I guess I choose to go hiking and so on instead of going to the gym.